HIGH LEVEL OF EXPERTISE THAT IS ABLE TO PROVIDE YOU WITH THE KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS TO EFFECTIVELY MANAGE YOUR DIABETES.
We pride ourselves in being an affiliate member of the National Association of Diabetes Centres. Acacia Ridge National Diabetes Centre has partaken in 3 National Audits: in many measures of the quality of diabetes care & outcomes the Acacia Ridge National Diabetes Centre was shown to be better than any other diabetes centre partaking in the audit.
Due to personal experience with diabetes, some of the team really understands what it's like to live with this chronic disease, so offer a very unique and practical team approach, applying both the art and science of medicine.
- Dr Bruce Chadfield- Member of RACGP, National Facility for Special Interest in Diabetes, Australian Diabetes Society (Type 1 since age 12; uses an Insulin Pump and Continuous Glucose Monitoring).
- Sarah Free- Credentialled Diabetes Educator, RN, “Balancing Diabetes” (partner has Type 1 Diabetes, while I have Coeliac Disease).
- Mark Roetteler- Exercise Physiologist, “First Step Rehabilitation”.
- On-Site Psychologist and Mental Health Nurses can be used to help individuals cope with the ongoing stress of living with this chronic condition.
- Linda Beaumont - Accredited Pharmacist for Home Medication Reviews.
- Podiatrists, Physiotherapist, Optometrist and NDSS Pharmacy and Pathology are within close walking distance.
Our team of dedicated, health care professionals works closely together and with clients to effectively manage their diabetes and overall health, covering all aspects from diet and lifestyle to insulin pump management:
- Type 1 Diabetes
- Type 2 Diabetes
- Gestational Diabetes
- Pre-Diabetes & Metabolic Syndrome or Diabetes Prevention
- Detailed practical Dietary Advice (individualised to ethnic background, vegetarian, fatty liver…). We believe that we are years ahead of the guidelines
- Lasting Weight Loss advice
- Exercise advice and how to manage your levels with exercise
- Carbohydrate Counting Education
- Insulin Initiation & Titration
- Basal Bolus Insulin Management
- Beyond DAFNE
- Insulin Pump Management
- Continuous Glucose Monitoring
- Group Education sessions with Diabetes Educator and Exercise Physiologist
- Diabetes Burnout
- Comprehensive, individualised Care Plans with Allied Health Referrals
- Full Screening for Complications
- Medication Reviews
- Management and Control to give the best opportunity for passing the Driver’s Licence Medical Requirements for both Car and Heavy Goods Vehicles
As Dr Chadfield has a high degree of Specialisation in Diabetes, he is able to Certify Patients for a Commercial Driver’s Licence, once criteria are satisfied.
Due to our broader focus, some of our clients with Type 2 diabetes have been able to stop insulin injections, with resultant weight loss & better glucose control.
Our Credentialled Diabetes Educator accepts referrals from other GPs (external to the centre) or you may self-refer for full diabetes management. If you prefer, the centre as a whole can take over your complete GP needs.
The results of our recent diabetes audit speak for themselves:
- The mean HbA1c of our Patients with Type 1 Diabetes is 7.92%.
- For our patients with Type 2 Diabetes the results were as follows:
- Metformin only, 114 pts, mean HbA1c 6.29%
- Metformin + DPP4, 97 pts, mean HbA1c 7.13%
- Metformin + DPP4 who came off insulin after DPP4 started, & gt; 15 patients, mean HbA1c 6.30%
- Insulin + Metformin, 32 pts, mean HbA1c 8.24%
- Insulin + Metformin + DPP4, 18 pts, mean HbA1c 7.88%
- Dietary only, 24 pts, mean HbA1c 6.28%